Chaos Refuge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does music have to be complex or unique to be good?

5 posters

Go down

Does music have to be complex or unique to be good? Empty Does music have to be complex or unique to be good?

Post by Morbid Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:58 pm

There is so much music out there, and we all enjoy what we do for different reasons.

Does music have to be particulary complex or unique to attract your attention though? Some musical snobs demand people who are technical wizards with their musical instruments, although I am not one of them! Very Happy
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1894
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Character sheet
Character Name: Lord Morbid
Class: Hunter
Job: Bounty Hunter, Rebel

https://chaosrefuge.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Does music have to be complex or unique to be good? Empty Re: Does music have to be complex or unique to be good?

Post by Venom Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:26 am

It doesn't have to be for me. I listen to a lot of simple stuff like AC/DC, Kiss, Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, and Ozzy Osbourne, among others, on top of the technically proficient stuff like Stratovarius, Gamma Ray, or Pyramaze. So, it doesn't HAVE to be for me, but I do tend to lean towards complex music more often than not, because of my recent love of power metal.
Venom
Venom

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Back to top Go down

Does music have to be complex or unique to be good? Empty Re: Does music have to be complex or unique to be good?

Post by blue calix Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:23 pm

No, that's ridiculous. Then again, I have the weirdest tastes in music...extremely eclectic, I guess you'd say. One day I'd be listening to '60s revival music and then the next I'll be listening to Jazz. It's just all dependant upon how I'm feeling and what kind of mood I'm in. I don't care if the artists are technically nuanced in their instruments, 'cause guess what, technique doesn't beget creativity. The Beatles were amazing song writers and Paul McCartney couldn't read sheet music, Ring Starr was playing a right-handed drum set and he himself was left-handed, the bandmates started off not even knowing what the fuck they were doing--yet, they made more hit songs than pretty much any artist alive.

blue calix

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2007-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:51 pm

Actually, I would argue that my tastes in music may be even more "out there" but either way...I have a very open mind towards most music.

As long as I can find something I like about the music, i'll give it a chance.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blue calix Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:12 am

Morbid wrote:Actually, I would argue that my tastes in music may be even more "out there" but either way...I have a very open mind towards most music.

As long as I can find something I like about the music, i'll give it a chance.

Who cares if your tastes are more eclectic or abstract?

My point was that I don't need an esoteric, intangible reason to enjoy a particular type of music. Also, my point was that if you are naturally gifted in music, you don't need to be technically adept in music. Most Punk bands made lots of pop music and could only play three chords (fuckin' pathetic, I know).

Anyway, I'm sure everyone in the world has a pretty eclectic taste in music...I mean, hell, my sister listens to Rap and Country, which are pretty much polar opposites. Another friend of mine likes Hip Hop, R&B and Gospel. I think we as people have this innate desire to enjoy all facets of musical types. I, at least, know I do.

But when it comes to film, I'm pretty fuckin' picky. In fact, I think I'll make a thread about film when I get back from North Carolina! Very Happy

blue calix

Number of posts : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:16 am

Heh, go for it man!

And I can be pretty picky with music, but not because I hate any particular genre. There are certain elements that some music has that turns me off, but it's not really limited to one genre that has these problems.

Bahh, i'm half asleep and probably being incoherent!
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy K Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:48 am

I like getting into new genres, when I downloaded Prototype - Video Kid (Bret McKenzie), I really didn't get into it at first, but I got used to it, and well I really like listening to that album.

Honestly though, it doesn't really matter to me, I like all kinds of music, and once I get that damn 500 GB External HD, I'm going to explore new genres.
Crazy K
Crazy K

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-02-11

http://www.myspace.com/david_big_d_adams

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:17 pm

Well, let me know how things go with that External HD!

I have tons of music I could introduce you to, if you are interested Smile
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:23 am

Unique, maybe. Complex, no.
Omni
Omni
Novice
Novice

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:51 am

Yeah, I think we both can agree on that!

After all, there is a lot of extremely good minimalist black metal and ambient out there.

The main thing is there has to be something to hold your attention to it, be it a memorable riff or something that just holds you there.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down