Chaos Refuge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is a deep, involving story important to you in RPGs?

+3
blue calix
Morbid
Venom
7 posters

Go down

Is a deep, involving story important to you in RPGs? Empty Is a deep, involving story important to you in RPGs?

Post by Venom Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:45 am

I know a lot of people who prefer their RPGs to have a powerful and well thought-out story, while others pay no attention to the story and focus on gameplay. Is a deep storyline important to you, or will you play a game regardless?

I don't really care about the story. If it is involving, great, I can get into the game easier, but if it's not, I don't care as long as the gameplay is good. There are rarely games where I keep playing them just to see what happens next, because it's easier for me to get lost in the gameplay and not the story.
Venom
Venom

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Back to top Go down

Is a deep, involving story important to you in RPGs? Empty Re: Is a deep, involving story important to you in RPGs?

Post by Morbid Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:33 am

Storylines are very important to me, but I would say Gameplay is just as important if not more so.

Back when I started playing RPG's in the 8-bit days, stories were nearly non-existant. The games were still amazingly fun though, due to the gameplay and sense of adventure and exploration.

Some newer RPG's could learn a lot from that actually.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1894
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Character sheet
Character Name: Lord Morbid
Class: Hunter
Job: Bounty Hunter, Rebel

https://chaosrefuge.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Is a deep, involving story important to you in RPGs? Empty Re: Is a deep, involving story important to you in RPGs?

Post by Venom Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:57 am

I agree with you on that last remark. Back in the NES/SNES days there was usually someone trying to take over/destroy the world, but they did it with style. In most modern RPGs it's like "your world is mine kthxbai lol" and that's about it. And most RPGs today don't offer as much exploration, like you said, which is a high point for me, because I love to explore and find stuff most people wouldn't know was there, and not just in RPGs, but in any type of game that allows it.
Venom
Venom

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:34 am

I mean, some more recent games like Suikoden V do have a fair amount of hidden things...but the world isn't as huge seeming as some of those older RPG's.

Anyway, I really need to replay Dragon Quest 3 and 4 in the near future.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blue calix Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:02 am

My main complaint with most RPGs nowadays is the fact that they're so cliche--you can essentially predict what's going to happen to the characters just by the characters' personalities. What I look for in characters is a certain degree of deepness that makes him/her a more believable character...almost "real," per se. People in general are so much deeper than what most of these RPGs exhibit its protagonists and atagonists. We aren't so easily catalogued or conventionalized. Adding some believability and some integrity to a character's personality and even backstory can go a long way...

Also, the gameplay kills me, too. I'm so over turn/menu-based battles, where you click "attack" or whatever command and two seconds later, it's actualized. I like an RPG like...The Witcher, for instance, where it's action real-time based, but still has the roots of a traditional rpg (i.e.: menus, etc. in-game). Also, if you haven't played The Witcher, then I highly recommend it. I just hope you have the PC system requirements to run it, 'cause it's pretty high up there...

blue calix

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2007-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:56 pm

Meh, I hate real-time Action/RPG's...unless you want to call Star Wars: KOTOR an Action/RPG. Now those games definitely had some awesome battle systems in my opinion.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blue calix Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:46 am

Morbid wrote:Meh, I hate real-time Action/RPG's...unless you want to call Star Wars: KOTOR an Action/RPG. Now those games definitely had some awesome battle systems in my opinion.

I really don't think you could consider KOTOR real-time action/RPG. Why do you hate real-time action? Is it because it goes against tradition? Bioware mastered their fighting system in Mass Effect, which is another AMAZINGLY written and well done overall RPG.

blue calix

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:12 pm

I hate most real-time action games for the simple fact that I usually dislike the battle systems.

A few big exceptions would be the Secret Of Mana series, and the Diablo series.

Also, I dislike having to rely on reflexes and button mashing. Say what you will about turn-based RPG's, the real-time RPG's are EVEN MORE of "attack attack attack dodge heal attack attack"

Sorry if this didn't make sense, but oh well.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blue calix Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:56 am

Morbid wrote:I hate most real-time action games for the simple fact that I usually dislike the battle systems.

A few big exceptions would be the Secret Of Mana series, and the Diablo series.

Also, I dislike having to rely on reflexes and button mashing. Say what you will about turn-based RPG's, the real-time RPG's are EVEN MORE of "attack attack attack dodge heal attack attack"

Sorry if this didn't make sense, but oh well.

No, it does. It's like in D&D irl...you plan out the attacks and whatnot and the DM decides how it churns out by the rolls of the dice. I dunno, after playing so many rpgs that are based on turns so many years, it's like a revelation to me having seen real-time battles. If you ever get the PC to run this, I highly recommend The Witcher. The battle system is not only real-time, but INCREDIBLY deep. Just remember, there's always an exception to the rule

blue calix

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:09 am

The reason I like turn-based games is because I can play at my own pace, and take time to really enjoy the surroundings and all the different facets of a game.

Not to mention, many Action/RPG's have terrible if not non-existant stories!

As for Witcher, i'll look into that.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blue calix Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:37 pm

Morbid wrote:The reason I like turn-based games is because I can play at my own pace, and take time to really enjoy the surroundings and all the different facets of a game.

Not to mention, many Action/RPG's have terrible if not non-existant stories!

As for Witcher, i'll look into that.

Lol, I hate to break it to you, homes, but most rpgs in general nowadays are terrible in its design of story. You can take plenty of time to really enjoy the surroundings and whatnot in lots of action/rpg's! Witcher provides that, not to mention Oblivion and countless others. The problem here is the fact that you've played some shitty action/rpgs in the past and decided that having played these shitty action/rpgs that all action/rpgs fall under this guise of shittiness. Just 'cause games share the same genre type doesn't mean it shares its content of quality. But, again, it's your opinion and I won't further propound this. Feel free to express your thoughts, however, 'cause your insight's always appreciated. Smile

blue calix

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:30 pm

Hey, I already said that not all Action/RPG's are crappy!

I played a number of good ones, I just dislike the majority that I have played. Many of the ones I played have annoying puzzles, and equally annoying battles. Not to mention, very little in the way of story...even LESS than what is found in Turn-based RPG's. Granted, this is only based on what I have played.

Also, there are a number of recent Turn-based RPG's that had a pretty good story. Did you by any chance playing Suikoden V, or any other Suikoden for that matter?
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Garretjax Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:13 am

i think you have to have a good mix of the 2 things a good story will only help the ganeplay and vice versa there imo would be no point in a game with good gameplay if the story behind what you are doing and what you are doing it is weak or non existant. same with going the other way no good having a great storyline if the gameplay is so weak you cannot play the game

Garretjax
Recent Recruit
Recent Recruit

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sempere Sun May 04, 2008 7:33 pm

Well, it's an RPG, so a good story is pretty much required. I won't really get into it if it's very involving, lose interest pretty quickly.

The original Final Fantasy is still one of the greatest games of all time, though. Very Happy
Sempere
Sempere

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Carax
Job: Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Sun May 04, 2008 8:26 pm

Final Fantasy 1?

Yeah, that definitely was an excellent game.

Until Dragon Quest III was released a year later, it also offered more customization than any other console RPG of it's time.

Excellent gameplay, and nice challenge also!
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Plastic Mirror Mon May 19, 2008 5:14 pm

I personally won't play an RPG if it doesn't have an involving story. The whole point of an RPG is for the story, and if the story doesn't grasp me or get into it and actually have me believe I'm really there, I won't play it.
Plastic Mirror
Plastic Mirror
Novice
Novice

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Character sheet
Character Name:
Class:
Job: N00b

http://www.myspace.com/xxtaintedheartsxx

Back to top Go down

Post by blue calix Mon May 19, 2008 6:14 pm

Morbid wrote:Hey, I already said that not all Action/RPG's are crappy!

I played a number of good ones, I just dislike the majority that I have played. Many of the ones I played have annoying puzzles, and equally annoying battles. Not to mention, very little in the way of story...even LESS than what is found in Turn-based RPG's. Granted, this is only based on what I have played.

Also, there are a number of recent Turn-based RPG's that had a pretty good story. Did you by any chance playing Suikoden V, or any other Suikoden for that matter?

I tried Suikoden...3 and 4? I forget what of the series I tried and realized I was done with the series. I dunno...I guess my tastes have changed over the years, ya' know?

blue calix

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Tue May 20, 2008 5:17 am

Well, Suikoden IV was not that great, but V is much better in my honest opinion.

You should at least give it a try.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Overdose Delusion Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:55 am

Yes, a deep and engrossing storyline is very important to me an RPG;
it's the primary reason why I play them in the first place. I've always
loved how a really good RPG has the ability to suck you into the story
and keep you hooked for hours on end. I recall having this experience
with Xenogears, Suikoden II, Valkyrie Profile, and other great RPGs;
where I kept playing just because I was so immersed in the story and
couldn't wait to see what happened next.
Overdose Delusion
Overdose Delusion
Recent Recruit
Recent Recruit

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down