Chaos Refuge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

does it bother you when a band is labelled incorrectly?

+4
blue calix
Affected heart
Morbid
Venom
8 posters

Go down

does it bother you when a band is labelled incorrectly? Empty does it bother you when a band is labelled incorrectly?

Post by Venom Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:16 am

With so many genres and sub-genres floating around these days, sometimes it's hard to tell what band is playing what kind of music, so it can lead to some confusion when labelling an artist or band's genre. Are you a perfectionist who must have everything labelled correctly, and where you correct other's mistakes, or do you not care?

I don't care for the most part, because I usually wouldn't know the correct genre even if something was tagged wrong. But it does bother me to see people call Iced Earth a power metal band. They have power metal elements, yes, but they're a thrash metal band...but a lot of people don't seem to get that. It also bothers me a little when a band that's obviously metal is labelled as rock. There is a difference.
Venom
Venom

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Back to top Go down

does it bother you when a band is labelled incorrectly? Empty Re: does it bother you when a band is labelled incorrectly?

Post by Morbid Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:23 am

Actually, I am more bothered by people feeling the need to label everything and having to divide it into genres and sub-genres of genres, and sub-genres of sub-genres of sub-genres.

People use labels since it makes it easier to find music you would like based off other bands that use a similar style, but I still abhor labeling...yet I still do it myself Sad
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1894
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Character sheet
Character Name: Lord Morbid
Class: Hunter
Job: Bounty Hunter, Rebel

https://chaosrefuge.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

does it bother you when a band is labelled incorrectly? Empty Re: does it bother you when a band is labelled incorrectly?

Post by Affected heart Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:44 am

Doesn't bother me at all. I just hate the made up names people might use... Like "pussy rock." What is that? Music that someone thinks isn't true rock or is it a girlie version? IDK. I tend to label music as "stuff I like" and "stuff I don't."
Affected heart
Affected heart

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Character sheet
Character Name: Liztress
Class: Ranger
Job: Pole Dancer

http://z15.invisionfree.com/universal_gp

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:06 am

I label music as "sucky" and "this stuff rules"

There isn't much middleground for me usually Very Happy
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Affected heart Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:45 pm

There is for me though. I can find a song with a good beat but the lyrics are awful. And then you got the songs that are played into the ground. x.x Some of them are good but overplaying them kills it.
Affected heart
Affected heart

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Character sheet
Character Name: Liztress
Class: Ranger
Job: Pole Dancer

http://z15.invisionfree.com/universal_gp

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:58 pm

That's one of my biggest issues with modern radio music. Songs that I may have at least tolerated otherwise are made terrible by Emo or Pop-Punk whining. The instrumental music by itself may be annoying, but those vocals turn annoyance into complete hatred.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Venom Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:51 am

I don't have much tolerance for music I don't like, although I don't keep it between "I love this music" and "I hate this music." I've found some stuff that's just "good" but not super-great or anything. Still, almost none of the stuff I listen to is ever played on the radio, which is why I take my MP3 player everywhere instead. Even if something I like is played on the radio, I usually have to sit through an hour of pure crap before I hear it. Either that, or I have to listen to the radio at like 5 AM, because that's the ONLY time I've ever heard Motley Crue on the local classic rock station. lol.
Venom
Venom

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:55 am

Classic Rock stations can still be pretty fuggin good, since the one around here plays Rush,Genesis, and Pink Floyd!

Oh, and I like most Jazz and Classical stations as well.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blue calix Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:01 pm

Does it bother me when a band is labeled incorrectly? Nah, not at all. As long as the quality of the music's sound is good, then I don't care what it's labeled. I don't see any reason why I should be either...unless I was an absolutely organization-freak, then, sure, maybe I'd freak out if my copy of whatever Marilyn Manson album I had were labeled "New Wave/Modern Rock" loolol

blue calix

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2007-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy K Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:15 pm

I really don't care to much if a genre is incorrectly named. I know Omni would correct anyone who mistakenly puts the wrong genre to a band. Smile
Crazy K
Crazy K

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-02-11

http://www.myspace.com/david_big_d_adams

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:41 pm

Yeah, that's just how Omni is Razz

I am more annoyed by people labeling music I hate as a genre I like than the other way around.

If somebody tried to tell me Slipknot was Progressive Black Metal/Avant-garde or something...I would have to restrain myself from getting so annoyed I would get banned.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:20 am

Talking about me? Razz

It annoys me not so much when people do it and make a minor mistake, but when they are entirely off on genre or try to argue with other people when they're totally incorrect.
Omni
Omni
Novice
Novice

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by chaleur spectrale Thu May 15, 2008 8:52 pm

For those who care that much about genres (like to the point where there are five words before the main genre, suicidal funeral doom poop stick metal)

Music isn't a science.

It's a fucking art.

Retards.

(I don't think they'll get my point, unfortunately.)
chaleur spectrale
chaleur spectrale

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2007-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Thu May 15, 2008 11:41 pm

No, I actually entirely agree with you Ric.

Labeling is fucking retarded, yet we all do it anyway as a way to try and explain the music.

Like I said earlier, having sub-genres of sub-genres of sub-genres is a damn mind-fuck.

Just call it simple like "Black Metal" or "Doom Metal" or something, and that's all I really care lol
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chaleur spectrale Fri May 16, 2008 8:06 am

I try to keep it to a genre (rock, pop, metal) and an adjective. I do get specific when I describe music, but it's because I'm trying to tell you what the music is like. I don't get all fucking retarded about it like some people tend to... it's ridiculous. Find something else to get angry about, like California trying to ammend its constitution to ban gay marriage.

There are more important things in the world than classifying your shitty music.

And that pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject. :]
chaleur spectrale
chaleur spectrale

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2007-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Fri May 16, 2008 4:19 pm

chaleur spectrale wrote:
There are more important things in the world than classifying your shitty music.

That quote right there is pretty signature worthy if you ask me! Laughing
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blue calix Fri May 16, 2008 5:26 pm

Morbid wrote:No, I actually entirely agree with you Ric.

Labeling is fucking retarded, yet we all do it anyway as a way to try and explain the music.

Like I said earlier, having sub-genres of sub-genres of sub-genres is a damn mind-fuck.

Just call it simple like "Black Metal" or "Doom Metal" or something, and that's all I really care lol

I do agree that you do need some sort of sub-genre to accurately describe a particular style of music...but a paragraph isn't necessary. Like, when I asked someone a couple years back, "Hey, you ever heard of Voodoo Glow Skulls?" Brian replied, "Yeah, why?" And then I asked another question, "Their sound is different from most Ska bands...how would you personall describe it?" And then he said, "Ska, because they are undeniably a Ska band...and Hardcore, because they have influences in that genre...so, I guess you could label them as Skacore...core being the suffix of Hardcore."

See, I think that's fine...over-complicating things is a waste of time and somewhat pretentious, though, if you ask me.

Even to this day, however, I can't tell the differences between Hardcore and Metalcore...

blue calix

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Fri May 16, 2008 8:49 pm

That's because many Metalcore bands are little more than Hardcore with Metal influences.

The stuff is terrible.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blue calix Fri May 16, 2008 10:48 pm

Morbid wrote:That's because many Metalcore bands are little more than Hardcore with Metal influences.

The stuff is terrible.
'

what's the point of distinguishing the differences then? i hear that they're both different, distinct genres of music, after all

blue calix

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Fri May 16, 2008 11:56 pm

There is no point in distinguishing it. The only word that really suits that stuff is crap. Nothing more to say! Very Happy
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sempere Mon May 19, 2008 12:07 am

It bothers me, but, like Omni said, only when it's a huge mistake. Even worse when they associate a genre I love with a band I dislike. I remember one time a guy had My Chemical Romance tagged as Progressive Rock and I fucking lost it.
Sempere
Sempere

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Carax
Job: Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Mon May 19, 2008 12:28 am

Sempere wrote:It bothers me, but, like Omni said, only when it's a huge mistake. Even worse when they associate a genre I love with a band I dislike. I remember one time a guy had My Chemical Romance tagged as Progressive Rock and I fucking lost it.

LOL...that's almost exactly what I said!

Great minds think alike or something Laughing

For example some people label Tool as progressive rock or metal, which it really isn't, despite some of their music having progressive elements.

Then there's the other camp who tries to group Tool together with Nu-Metal, which I would also disagree on.

I would just call them Rock and be done with it.

And yes, I do like Tool btw...but they are not Progessive Metal or Nu-Metal.

Hell, I barely consider them Metal of any variety or quasi-variety.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down