Chaos Refuge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which artists do you think are over-rated?

+3
Venom
chaleur spectrale
Morbid
7 posters

Go down

Which artists do you think are over-rated? Empty Which artists do you think are over-rated?

Post by Morbid Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:20 am

There are so many musician's out there, and quite a few of them have had a fair amount of hype surrounding them.

Many artists are described as being "talented,innovative, and unique" by their record companies, and most of those same artists ripped off somebody or other along their road to super-stardom.

Any there any particular people that stand out to you as being over-rated, and if so try to explain why you feel that way.

Thanks, and share your opinions!
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1894
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Character sheet
Character Name: Lord Morbid
Class: Hunter
Job: Bounty Hunter, Rebel

https://chaosrefuge.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Which artists do you think are over-rated? Empty Re: Which artists do you think are over-rated?

Post by chaleur spectrale Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:15 am

I've never really been into Pink Floyd, and that album Dark Side of the Moon is definitely not the best album ever recorded.
chaleur spectrale
chaleur spectrale

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2007-11-01

Back to top Go down

Which artists do you think are over-rated? Empty Re: Which artists do you think are over-rated?

Post by Morbid Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:28 pm

I DO like Pink Floyd, but DSotM is far from their best album if you ask me.

I never understood the hype behind that album, especially since I found some of Floyd's other work to be much more unique and interesting.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chaleur spectrale Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:56 pm

Add to my list all those emo bands that only write one verse and just repeat it 7 times between choruses, which are also invariable within a song.

That fucking "if looks could kill you'd be a murderer or maybe just a whore" song. The title seriously constitutes all of the lyrics of the song. Over. and over. and over. Ugh. I hate that garbage.
chaleur spectrale
chaleur spectrale

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2007-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:46 pm

Yeah, you can add the lot of Emo and mainstream rap to my list as well!

Since when does repeating the same unoriginal lyrics over and over, on top of annoying and simple instrumentation/rythem/whatever mean that you have any degree of talent?

The stuff still sells like hotcakes, so who knows?
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Venom Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:04 am

While I don't have a lot of specific artists, it's because certain genres are just full of overrated "artists" who make a shitload of money for churning out utter crap.

-Mainstream Rap
-Boy Bands
-Pink Floyd - They're not a bad band, I just can't seem to find what makes them so much more popular than other artists of the same time period and why they still stand out so much today.
-Led Zepplin - I just don't see it. Really. I can't get into any of their music.
Venom
Venom

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:31 am

Ironically, my favorite Floyd albums are the least praised ones.

As for Led Zepplin, I don't think I ever listened to even a full album of theirs. No comment either way yet.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:36 pm

I think people who talk about bands being terrible or overrated but listen to music obviously heavily influenced by those bands are hilarious. Thanks for making me laugh, guys.
Omni
Omni
Novice
Novice

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:05 am

Umm...that wasn't directed at me, right?

I am assuming your comment was in reference to not giving Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd enough credit.

However, I did not claim either band to be over-rated...I just don't think DSotM is Floyd's best.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blue calix Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:53 am

My example of most overrated artist isn't a musician, but rather a comic book artist. His name is Rob Liefeld. In the 90s he was famous for his artstyle, despite the fact the fucker has no clue how the body's supposed to be proportioned. He's famous for creating Cable and Deadpool, who, interestingly enough, only became increasingly popular when Liefeld dropped them both for other projects. Also, he's famous for putting pouches on all of his characters.

Seriously, go to google image search and look up his artwork...it's terrible, I'm not shitting you. He has no understanding of weight distribution, musculature, facial dynamics, or even flow of action. He's the worst of all comic book artists and somehow has made his career a very lucrative one.

That's all right, though, 'cause I can name a million other better artists than he...and that's not even all that hard. XD

Musically, I think the most overrated artist has to be Britney Spears. There's no need to explain this. Her "music" career is purely corporate...she's a fuckin' stooge and a tool to these music execs and I wish she'd learn how to sing and play an instrument...and not have to rely so much on vocal filtering.

blue calix

Number of posts : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:54 am

Britney Spears is too easy of a target, and she's far from the only one like that. Most pop stars do the same exact things as her, if not worse.

She's just more or less the poster girl for everything wrong with Pop, but that's mostly because she's one of the most visible people in that genre.

Does her music suck? I think so, but I feel the same way about most modern Pop music in general.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:06 pm

Morbid wrote:Umm...that wasn't directed at me, right?

I am assuming your comment was in reference to not giving Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd enough credit.

However, I did not claim either band to be over-rated...I just don't think DSotM is Floyd's best.

I was talking about people who called those bands overrated, since each one of them listens to and has expressed much love for bands obviously heavily influenced by them.
Omni
Omni
Novice
Novice

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy K Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:32 am

Hmm, overrated. I'd say most of Rap and Hip Hop music, which I honestly
cannot stand. I think U2 is overrated; never got into their music.

I'll name more when I feel in the mood to do so.
Crazy K
Crazy K

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-02-11

http://www.myspace.com/david_big_d_adams

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:07 am

I like 80's U2, but I can't stand most of what they have done since then.

The 80's albums just seemed to have feeling, and they seemed really into the music they were making.

The last song I remember liking of theirs was the one off the Batman Forever soundtrack.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sempere Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:17 am

Omni wrote:I was talking about people who called those bands overrated, since each one of them listens to and has expressed much love for bands obviously heavily influenced by them.

Except the bands that are heavily influenced by Zep and Floyd might be much less well known, if "known" at all. This is about bands being overrated, not how good they are.

AC/DC.
Sempere
Sempere

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Carax
Job: Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:32 am

AC/DC are a classic band, but their songs tend to be pretty hit or miss affairs.

Because they are inconsistent, I would agree on them being over-rated.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sempere Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:53 pm

They are very consistent because all of their songs sound alike.
Sempere
Sempere

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Carax
Job: Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Morbid Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:19 pm

Well, I can't really argue on that...but some songs are still more memorable than others.
Morbid
Morbid
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum